Speaking Jan 2015 to March 2015
- 1. Describe an exciting sport you know
- What the sport is
- How you know about it
- Is it difficult
- Explain why you think it is exciting
- What do you think of extreme sports?
- Should governments ban dangerous sports for young people?
- Would you encourage young people to do these sports?
- What kind of ball games do Indian people like to do?
- What kind of sports can people in your country watch on TV
- Are there many TV programs about sports in your country?
- Do you think these programs can help people play sports more often?
- Why do people play extreme sports?
- Why cant government stop people from playing dangerous sports?
10. What is the difference between professional athletes and amateur athletes?
- 2. Describe a person you know who is good at cooking
- Who the person is
- What is your relationship with this person
- What kind of food he or she cooks
- Explain why you think this person is so good at cooking
- How often do Indian people cook at home?
- There are more restaurants nowadays. Do you think people eat out more?
- Do schools have cooking classes in your country?
- Do you think we should teach children how to cook?
- 3. Describe a time you were friendly to someone you did not like
- When and where it happened
- Who he or she was
- Why you didn’t like this person
- Explain why you were friendly to him on that occasion
- 4. Describe a place you went to that was full of colour
- Where it was
- Why you went there
- What you did there
- Explain why you think that place was made so colourful
- What colours are least popular in your country?
- Would these colours become popular in the future?
- What was the most popular colour last year?
- How do colours affect people’s mood?
- What colours are mostly seen for buildings in India?
- What colour is suitable for offices?
- How differently do men and women look at the same colour?
- Is there any change in the use of colours in the present and in the past?
- Do colours make a difference in the advertisements?
10. What colours are suitable for formal occasions?
11. Do business people need to wear dark clothes?
- 5. Describe a childhood song you remember well
- Where you first heard this song
- How old were you when you first heard it
- What it was about
- And explain how you feel now when you hear this song
- What kind of music do different age groups in India like?
- Why do people of different ages like different music?
- Is it OK to play loud music in public places?
- Do you think music can be a source of pollution?
- When people get older, will they like the same music as they liked in childhood?
- What can people learn from songs?
- 6. Describe a happy family event from your childhood that you remember well
- What the event was
- When and where it was
- When and where it happened
- What you saw or did
- Explain why you remember the event so well
- Describe a typical family in your country
- What is the role of mother and father in your family?
- At what age young people in India are considered adults?
- How can we help children to become mature?
- Is it good to have only one child?
- Do you think teenagers should start working early to make money for their families?
- 7. Describe a special toy you had in your childhood
- What it was
- Who gave it to you
- How often you played with it
- Why it was special for you
- Compared with the toys that children play nowadays, is there any toy you did not have when you were young?
- Do you think children should play with hi-tech toys?
- 8. Describe a subject you didn’t like before but have interest in now
- what it was
- when you studied the subject
- why you didn’t like it before
- explain why you have interest in it now
- do you think teachers have a great influence on students’ studies?
- Is interest important for students?
- How can interest in school subjects be developed?
- How to learn English in a fun way?
- Do you think students should spend time on one subject or spend equal time on all subjects?
- How can one become a good teacher?
- Do you like to learn from the internet?
- Do you learn from TV?
- 9. Describe a piece of good news you heard from the TV or internet
- what the news was about
- when you got the news
- where you got the news
- explain why you think it was a piece of good news
- How do people in your country get news?
- Do you think children should start watching news from a young age?
- What kind of news do Indians like?
- 10. Describe a pleasant surprise you had
- when and where it happened
- who gave you the surprise
- why they gave you the surprise
- explain how you felt about it
- Do Indian people like surprises?
- Do you always get excited by surprises?
- Can people learn how to be happy?
- How do Indian people think of money?
- Would you be happy when you don’t buy anything while shopping?
- Is happiness important?
- Is happiness important to those who are very rich?
- How do people in your country express their happiness?
- 11. Describe a historical city you have been to
- what the city was
- when you went to the city
- what you did there
- explain why you think it was a historical city
- Do you think museums should be free?
- Are young people in your country interested in historical museums?
- How to get more people interested in history?
- What do people like to do when they visit a historical place?
- Would you say movies help people develop more interest in history?
- 12. Describe a time when you got lost
- When and where it happened
- Who was there with you
- How you felt when you got lost
- Explain how you eventually found your way
- Why do some people get lost easily while others don’t?
- Is digital map important?
- Why do people rely more on digital maps?
- Why do people like travelling?
- What kind of preparation do people need to do?
- How do you find your way in unfamiliar place?
- If you got lost and didn’t have a map, what would you do?
- What kind of problems can people have while travelling?
- 13. Describe an unusual building you visited
- where is it
- what it is used for
- what it looks like
- why do you think it is unusual
- do buildings need to look the same?
- Do you prefer traditional architecture or modern architecture?
- Do you prefer tall buildings or short buildings?
16. Describe something interesting you learnt from the net
- What you learnt
- What website you learnt it from
- How you learnt it
- Explain why you think it was interesting
- What useful things have you learnt from the net so far?
- Why do young people prefer the internet to books when they want to learn things?
- Would online libraries replace real libraries? Would libraries disappear in the future?
- What are the benefits of having online libraries?
- What do you think of websites like facebook?
- How has the internet changed your country?
- What would happen if the internet couldn’t work in your country?
- Why is twitter popular in India?
- Do you think information from twitter is more valuable than from other sources?
15. Describe an ambition you have not achieved yet
- What is it
- When you had this ambition
- Why you had this ambition
- Why you havn’t achieved it yet
- Do you think children should have ambitions?
- Do you think parents should stop children from thinking too big?
- What is the importance of having ambition?
- What are the advantages of feeling ambitious towards your work?
- 16. Describe a long journey / short trips you would like to make again
- where you went
- who you went with
- what you did during the trip
- explain why you would like to make the trip again
- What do you do before you start the journey?
- Do you prefer travelling on your own or with your friends?
- How do you usually plan your trips?
- Do you like long journeys?
- Do you often like to visit a place again you have visited once?
17. Describe a family member you would like to work with
- who this person is
- what kind of person he or she is
- whether you have worked together before
- Explain why you would like to work with this person
- What is the most common family business in India?
- What are the benefits of working for big companies?
- Why do some people not work for a company for too long?
- 18. Describe a vehicle you would like to buy
- what vehicle it is
- what it would look like
- why you would like to have it
- Explain why you would prefer this means of transport
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of public and private transport?
- What are the advantages to society of more people using mass transportation
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of using mass transportation?
- Why do some people have to travel a long way to get to work?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in the centre of a city and living in the suburbs of a city?
- Do you think the government should control the number of cars on the roads?
- Should it be the responsibility of government or individuals to limit the number of cars?
19. Describe a movie you would like to watch again
what it was about
when and where you watched it
who you watched it with
explain why you would like to watch it again
- Why do fewer and fewer people go to cinema?
- Do you prefer to watch a movie at home or in cinema
- What would you do if you couldn’t understand the language in a foreign film?
- Do people of different ages in your country watch different films?
20. Describe something you really want to buy in the future
what it is
when you will buy it
where will you buy it
and explain why you want to buy it
- where do people in you country like to go shopping?
- How has the way people buy things changed?
- Compare online shopping sites in India with those in other countries
- What do you think of advertisements?
- What kind of advertisements are most effective?
- Do you think companies these days spend too much on advertisements?
21. Describe a situation that others didn’t tell you the whole truth
What the situation was
Who was involved
Why they didn’t tell you the whole truth
Explain how you felt when you found out that you were not told the whole truth
- On what occasions do white lies happen?
- Does lying help people feel less embarrassed?
- Should friends be honest with each other all the time?
- Do you think lying is a crime?
- Can you give us some examples of the lies you have told?
- Do you think people should lie to their colleagues at work?
- Should husband and wife lie to each other?
22. Describe a friend whom you think could be a good leader
- who this friend is
- how you first met
- how other people behave towards him or her
- Explain why you think he could be a good leader
- In your culture, what kind of people can be leaders?
- Has there been a change in the characteristics a leader should have?
- Many women are earning more money now. Does it mean they can be good leaders?