Initial sets are the same as Jan to April list
Work or Studies Work:
- What work do you do?
- Why did you choose to do that type of work (or that job)?
- Do you like your job?
- Is it very interesting?
- Do you miss being a student?
- What subject(s) are you studying?
- Why did you choose to study that subject/those subjects?
- Do you like your subject? Why/Why not?
- Is it very interesting?
- Are you looking forward to working?
- Do you prefer to study in the mornings or afternoons?
- Do you live in a house or flat? Or What kind of housing/accommodation do you live in?
- Please describe it a little.
- What’s your favorite room in your home?
- What have you done to your room to make it look nice?
- Who do you live with?
- Which room does your family spend most of the time in?
- How long have you lived there?
- Do you plan to live there a long time?
- (If you answer you haven’t lived there long) What’s the difference between where you are living now and where you have lived in the past?
- Can you describe the place where you live?
- Do you prefer living in a house or in a flat?
- Please describe the room you live in.
- What part of your home do you like the most?
- What do you usually do in your house/flat/room?
- Are the transport facilities to your home very good?
- Do you plan to move?
- Would you like to move to another place to live? (Why/why not?)
- Are you prepared to move?
1.What’s (the name of) your hometown?
2.Is it a big city or a small place?
3.Please describe your hometown a little.
4.How long have you been living there?
5.Do you like your hometown?
6.Do you like living there?
7.Would you say it’s an interesting place?
8.What do you like (most) about your hometown?
9.What’s your favorite part of your hometown?
- Is there anything you dislike about it?
- Do you think you will continue living there for long time?
- Are there any tourist attractions in your hometown?
- Did your friends also grow up in the same place as you?
- Would you like to live there in the future?
- Do you often (like to) listen to music?
- When do you listen to music?
- How much time do you spend listening to music everyday?
- What kinds of music do you like to listen to?
- What’s your favourite kind of music?
- How often do you listen to (that type of) music?
- When did you start listening to this type of music?
- Where do you listen to it?
- How do you feel when you listen to this music?
- Do you like listening to songs?
- Have you ever been to a musical performance?
- Have you ever learned to play a musical instrument?
- Is music an important subject at schools in India?
- Did you often listen to music when you were a child? (If yes, give details)
- What kinds of music are (most) popular in India?
- What colors do you like? What’s your favorite color?
- What’s the most popular color in India?
- Do you like to wear clothes in bright colors?
- What’s the difference between men’s and women’s preference on colours?
- Do colors affect your mood?
- Are there any colors you like/Dislike? Why?
- Are colors important to you?
- Were colors important to you when you were a child?
- When you are buying something, is the color important to you?
- Do you usually wear clothes in your favorite colors?
- Is color very important to you when you are buying clothes?
- Do you prefer light or dark (or bright) colors?
- Are there any colors that have a special meaning in your country?
- What colors would you chose to paint the walls of your room?
- Is there any color you would not want on the walls of your room? Why?
- Do you think different types of people like different colors?
- Do you like swimming?
- Is it difficult to learn how to swim?
- Where do Indians like to go swimming?
- What’s the difference between swimming in the pool and swimming in the sea?
Being in a hurry
- When was the last time you did something in a hurry?
- Do you like to finish things quickly?
- What kind of things you would never do in a hurry?
- Why do people make mistakes more easily when they are in a hurry?
- Do you often write things?
- Do you write every day? What do you usually write?
- Do you like writing to people?
- How often do you send e-mails?
- What are your main reasons for using e-mails?
- Do you like to send e-mails?
- Do you usually write by hand or write using a computer (typewriter or word processor)?
- Nowadays, how do most people write things?
- Do you think computers might, one day, replace handwriting?
- When do children begin to write in your country?
- How did you learn to write?
- Do you think handwriting is very important (nowadays)?
- How can children today improve (or practice) their handwriting?
- What impression does a person’s handwriting have on other people?
- Are there many (or any) museums in your hometown?
- Do you think museums are useful for visitors to your hometown/country?
- Do you often visit a museum?
- Did you go to any museums when you were a child?
- When was the last time you visited a museum?
- Do you think museums are important?
- Do you think it’s suitable for museums to sell things to visitors?
- How do you usually spend your weekends? What do you usually do on weekends?
- In your country, do men and women usually do the same kind of things on weekends (or in their free time)?
- When do you spend time with your family?
- What did you do last weekend?
- What do other people in your hometown (or in your country) usually do on weekends?
- What are you going to do next weekend?
- Is there anything new that you would like to do on weekends?
- Do you like working on weekends?
- Do you think employees should have to work on weekends?
- Do you think that weekends now are more important to you, than when you were a child?
Letters or emails
- Do you write many letters or emails?
- Who do you usually write to?
- Do you prefer to write letters by hand or by a computer?
- How often do you write an email or letter?
- What are the differences between emails and letters?
- Is it hard to think of what to write?
- What kind(s) of letters/emails do you think are hard to write?
- How do you feel when you receive a letter or an email?
- What kind of letters or emails are the most difficult to reply to?
- What kind of letters/emails do you receive that make you excited?
- Which do you prefer- making a phone call or writing an email?
- Do you think people will still write letters in the future?
- How do you communicate with others at work – by email or is it more convenient to communicate face-to-face?
- How often do you dance?
- Is dancing difficult to learn?
- Would you learn dancing in the future?
- Where do Indian people like to go dancing?
- Did you like to dance when you were a child?
- Do you prefer to study in the morning or in the evening?
- Why do some people find it difficult to focus in the morning?
- What do you do to improve your learning efficiency?
- How often do you ride bicycles?
- Is it difficult to learn how to ride a bicycle?
- Is it popular to ride bicycles in your country?
- When was the last time you used your bicycle?
- Do you think bicycle is very convenient for people to use in modern life?
- How would you teach your children how to ride a bicycle?
- Do you like to collect things made by hand?
- Did you ever take handicraft lessons at school?
- Are handicrafts popular in India?
- Do you think children should learn more about handicrafts?
- Do you think handicrafts are meaningful activities?
- Do you like science?
- Are there many science museums in your hometown?
- Did you like science classes when you were young?
- Do you think schoolchildren should have both art and science classes?
- Do you think science is important to our society?
- Are public gardens very important in India?
- Are there many public gardens in India?
- Do you think there are enough public gardens in your hometown?
- What do you think are the benefits of having gardens in the city?
- Why do people who live in cities like public gardens?
- Do you think government should provide public gardens for people to visit?
- Do you think government should spend more money on public gardens for the cities or for villages and small towns in the countryside?
- Do these gardens play the same role for old people and young people?
- Do you think these gardens are more important for old people (e.g. retired people) or young(er) people?
- Do you think it’s more important to have public facilities, such as gardens and parks, for young people or for old people?
- Do you think gardens have any value for children?
- Do you think gardens are important for children to see and play in?
- Which do you think is more important- public gardens or private gardens?
- Do people prefer to grow flowers or vegetables?
- How often do you use a computer?
- What kinds of computers are popular in India?
- What do you usually use your computer for?
- Who taught you how to use a computer?
- Do you think computers have changed your life a lot?
- What's the most popular means of transportation in your hometown?
- How often do you take buses?
- Can you compare the advantages of planes and trains?
- Is driving to work popular in your country?
- Do you think people will drive more in the future?
- Would you ride bikes to work in the future?
- What will become the most popular means of transportation in India?
Do you prefer public transportation or private transportation?
- How do children celebrate birthdays in your country?
- How did you celebrate your last birthday?
- What kinds of birthday gifts do you like to receive?
- Is there a difference between the way you celebrated your birthday in
the past and in the present?
- Do you like flowers? (Why?)
- What flowers do you like? (Why?)
- Which/What is your favorite flower?
- Do you think flowers are important?
- (Similar to above) Are flowers important in your culture? (Give examples)
- On what occasions are flowers important?
- Do people in your country ever use flowers for special occasions?
- In your country, do people (ever) give flowers as a gift?
- What are the occasions when people give or receive flowers?
- Do you like to walk?
- Do you like to walk on your own or with others?
- Would you say that your city is a good place for walking?
- Do you often read newspapers?
- Which do you prefer reading, magazines or newspapers?
- What kinds of (types of) newspapers (or magazines) do you usually read?
- How old were you when you first started to read newspapers?
- Do you think it's important to read newspapers? (Why?/Why not?)
- Why do (you think) people read newspapers?
- What different types of newspaper are there in India?
- Do you care about the news?
- Is the news important (to you)?
- What kinds of news do Indian people read in newspapers?
- Do you prefer to read about domestic (or local) news or international news? (Why?)
- What are some methods that newspapers use to attract readers?
- What influence do you think newspapers have on society?
- Do you think the internet is a good way to get news?
- Do you like to wear hats?
- What kinds of hats do you have?
- Where do you like to buy hats?
- Is wearing hats popular in your country?
- Do you like painting or drawing?
- How often do you visit art galleries?
- What kind of things do you like to draw?
- Is it easy to learn how to draw?
- How often do you buy others gifts?
- Do you like to send expensive gifts?
- What kinds of gifts are popular in your country?
- Why do people send gifts?
- Are there many advertisements in your country
- Why do you think there are so many advertisements now?
- What are the various places where we see advertisements?
- How do you feel about advertisements?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- Do you like outdoor activities?
- What outdoor activities do you (most) like to do?
- How often do you do that?
- What outdoor sports do you like? (Why?)
- How much time do you spend outdoors every week?
- How often do you do outdoor activities?
- What (types of) outdoor activities are popular in your country?
- Do you often (like to) sing?
- When do you like to sing?
- How much time do you spend in singing every day?
- What kinds of music do you like to sing?
- Is it difficult to sing well?
- Do you want to be a singer?
- Do you like sunny days?
- What do you like to do when it' s a sunny day?
- Would you like to stay at home or go outside when the weather is great?
- Are there many sunny days in your hometown?
- Do you mind noises?
- What types of noise do you come across in your daily life?
- Are there any sounds that you like?
- Where can you (= one) hear loud noise?
- Do you think there's too much noise in modern society?
Bus or taxi
- How often do you take the bus?
- When was the first time you took a taxi?
- What are the advantages of taking a taxi compared with buses
- Is it convenient to take the bus/taxi in your city?
- How often do you use your mobile phone?
- Can you describe your mobile phone?
- What was your first mobile phone?
- Would you buy a new one in the future?
- How has your mobile phone changed your life?